Sunday, October 25, 2009

Outside of my box...

I took American Sign Language (ASL) in college as a language. I love signing and watching others sign. I have wanted to learn Polish Sign Language (PSL) and then use it to reach the deaf here. I kind of gave up the idea once school started because nothing had happened and I figured I would be too busy to work with them. Well after thinking about it and talking with those here, I thought maybe I should “take a dare on God” and find the lady at church who signs in Polish. I found her this morning! (With a little helpJ) Because I speak very little Polish I signed to her. She was very impressed with me and in the fact she understood everything I had said, even though it was in ASL not PSL. It turns out she speaks some English too, and want to learn ASL. We are going to try to meet this next week and begin teaching each other the Sign Language we know. I am very excited, and a little nervous, about where this can and will go. I am hoping to be a light to the deaf here, who are rarely seen but there, and who might have been turned away from the Catholic Church and open to the True God and His love!

No comments: