Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Language

I thought I would share a story with all.

I have been learning Polish Sign Language for about two months now. I love the language and learning more Polish. I have wanted to talk to some deaf for a few days, just to use what I know. Well last night I was on my way to meet with Ula, she teaches me sign language, and I got my chance! I was walking to the bus stop and there were three deaf having a very heated discussion. I thought this is not the time; I don’t want to get in the middle of something. So I continued walking. Then, the two deaf ladies got on the same bus as I did. I worked up the courage and started signing to them. They signed back to me and said that for knowing very little sign I did very well. I did not know everything they were saying, but we still had a very nice ten minute conversation. I was so thrilled and so was Ula when I told her. It was great to be able to use what I have been learning!

2 comments:

Sunnie said...

Neat Naomi! I sang "Jesus loves me this I know in Polish and signed it too at Sunday School today (March 28, 2010). Sure do miss you all.
Need to ask you a question about a store at Alfa Shopping Centre. Please write, I need to know soon if possible.

Sunnie said...

Is sign language the same in all languages? The "signer" at Church says it should be, is that right? If it is, that is pretty neat, if not, it's still neat to learn it.